Frequently Asked Questions

  Q If my child enters Bridging, can he/she be promoted to mainstream before the end of the year?  
  Normally the student will remain in the Bridging class for the academic year in order to develop their English skills. Occasionally, the school may consider that a student’s English has developed to the point of being able to cope in the mainstream. If this is the case, they will assess the student’s ability to access mainstream curriculum. This would not be possible after Term 3.  
  Q May I apply for my child to transfer into the mainstream?  
  A The school will make the decision to assess the student for entry into mainstream.  
  Q What are the criteria for promotion at the end of the year?  
  A A student will expect to progress into the next year unless there have been serious concerns about their academic performance during the course of the year. Please refer to the official school policy on our website.  
  Q What are the criteria for entry onto the IBDP in Year 5?  
  A Students need a minimum of 2 x A, 2 x B and 2 x C grades at IGCSE and a maximum of 20 points at ‘O’ Level or their equivalent for entry onto the IBDP course. In addition, they will need to offer subjects they can take up at IB level. A minimum of a grade B is expected for subjects to be undertaken at HL and a minimum of a grade C for subjects at SL.  
  Q If my child is not offered Express stream by the MOE, can he or she apply to ACS (International)?  
  A ACS (International) only accepts students who qualify for the Express stream.  
  Q What is the minimum PSLE points score for entry into ACS (International)?  
  A To be considered for entry, students must have a minimum of 200 points and have been offered Express by the Ministry of Education (MOE). Please note that attaining the minimum score does not guarantee admission. Other factors such as suitability to an ACS (International) education are also considered.  
  Q My child has been exempted by the Ministry of Education (MOE) from studying his Mother Tongue language. Does he need to study a second language at ACS (International)?  
  A Yes, all students study a second or a foreign language at ACS (International). If your child is exempt from the Mother Tongue (second language), he or she will be required to study a new foreign language at school.  
  Q Is it possible to transfer my child into Year 4 or Year 6 at ACS (International)?  
  A We do not take students into Years 4 or 6 as this is the examination year and, therefore, too late for new students to cover the full syllabus. We occasionally accept students who have been studying the IGCSE or the IB elsewhere if we offer the same subjects. However, Year 4 applicants may be considered for either our one year Foundation IB (First Language or competent English language learners) or our one-year Pre-IB Bridging (Second language learners) programmes.  
  Q My child does not require English support but has completed his academic year at his last school, can he or she be accepted into Bridging?  
  A The Bridging programme is designed solely for international students whose English is not their first language and need to develop their language before entering mainstream. We do not accept English speakers into Bridging.  
  Q Once my child has sat the entrance test, how long will it be before we know the result?  
  A You will be informed within one week.  
  Q What does the entrance test consist of?  
  A The entrance test will consist of one Mathematics paper, one English paper and an interview. Students applying for mainstream late in the academic year or for Years 3, 4 or 5 will also be required to sit a Science paper. These papers represent the academic level and syllabus content of the year group for which the candidate is applying.  
  Q When can my child take the tests?  
  A Upon receipt of the completed application, the school will offer you a date to take the tests. These tests are scheduled on Mondays each week.  
  Q Do we need to hire external tutors for our child?  
  A No, the curriculum is fully covered by your child’s teachers and, unless your child does not make good effort, there will not be any need to obtain outside help.  
  Q What if my child is having academic difficulties?  
  A If your child is having difficulties, please speak to his or her subject teacher or form tutor.  
  Q Do you offer scholarships?  
  A Currently we only offer scholarships to Singaporean students for study at ACS (International) in the IB Diploma Programme – Link to Scholarship  


_MG_9383 (1) - Copy